1. Dye BA, Thornton-Evans G, Li X, et al. Dental caries and sealant prevalence in children and adolescents in the United States, 2011-2012. NCHS data brief, no 191. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2015. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db191.htm. Accessed 2015.
2. National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States, 2011: with special feature on socioeconomic status and health. Table 76. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2012. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus11.pdf/. Accessed 2014.
3. Robertson D, Smith AJ. The microbiology of the acute dental abscess. J Med Microbiol. 2009;58(Pt 2):155-162.
4. Marinho VC, Higgins JP, Logan S, et al. Topical fluoride (toothpastes, mouth rinses, gels or varnishes) for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(4):CD002782.
5. Mickenautsch S, Yengopal V. Anticariogenic effect of xylitol versus fluoride—a quantitative systematic review of clinical trials. Int Dent J. 2012;62(1):6-20.
6. Ong CK, Seymour RA. An evidence-based update of the use of analgesics in dentistry. Periodontol 2000. 2008;46:143-164.
7. Douglass AB, Douglass JM. Common dental emergencies. Am Fam Physician. 2003;67(3): 511-516.