1. Keller MB. Issues in treatment-resistant depression. J Clin Psychiatry. 2005;66(Suppl 8):5-12.
2. Kessler RC, Berglund P, Demler O, et al. The epidemiology of major depressive disorder: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R). JAMA. 2003;289(23):3095-3105.
3. Olchanski N, McInnis Myers M, Halseth M, et al. The economic burden of treatment-resistant depression. Clin Ther. 2013;35(4):512-522.
4. Rush AJ, Trivedi MH, Wisniewski SR, et al. Acute and longer-term outcomes in depressed outpatients requiring one or several treatment steps: a STAR*D report. Am J Psychiatry. 2006; 163(11):1905-1917.
5. Bakunina N, Pariante CM, Zunszain PA. Immune mechanisms linked to depression via oxidative stress and neuroprogression [published online ahead of print January 10, 2015]. Immunology. 2015;144;365-373. doi: 10.1111/imm.12443.
6. Trivedi MH, Fava M, Wisniewski SR, et al. Medication augmentation after the failure of SSRIs for depression. N Engl J Med. 2006;354(12):1243-1252.
7. Hicks P, Hicks XP, Meyer H, et al. How best to manage treatment-resistant depression? J Fam Pract. 2010;59(9);490-497.
8. Maglione M, Maher AR, Hu JH, et al. Off-Label Use of Atypical Antipsychotics: An Update. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2011. Report No. 11-EHC087-EF. AHRQ Comparative Effectiveness Reviews.
9. Holtzheimer PE. Advances in the management of treatment-resistant depression. Focus (Am Psychiatr Publ). 2010;8(4):488-500.
10. Nierenberg AA, Fava M, Trivedi MH, et al. A comparison of lithium and T(3) augmentation following two failed medication treatments for depression: a STAR*D report. Am J Psychiatry. 2006;163(9):1519-1530.
11. American Psychiatric Association. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with major depressive disorder, third edition. Am J Psychiatry. 2010;167(10):1-118. http://psychiatryonline.org/data/Books/prac/PG_Depression3rdEd.pdf
12. Weiner RD. The Practice of Electroconvulsive Therapy: Recommendations for Treatment, Training, and Privileging: A Task Force Report of the American Psychiatric Association. 2nd ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2001:5-25.
13. Morishita T, Fayad SM, Higuchi MA, et al. Deep brain stimulation for treatment-resistant depression: systematic review of clinical outcomes. Neurotherapeutics. 2014;11(3):475-484.
14. Holtzheimer PE III, Mayberg HS. Deep brain stimulation for treatment-resistant depression. Am J Psychiatry. 2010;167(12):1437-1444.
15. Caddy C, Giaroli G, White TP, et al. Ketamine as the prototype glutamatergic antidepressant: pharmacodynamic actions, and a systematic review and meta-analysis of efficacy. Ther Adv Psychopharmacol. 2014;4(2):75-99.