1. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 5th ed. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association; 2013.
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Developmental disabilities. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/developmentaldisabilities/index.html. Accessed 2014.
3. Grant ME. The epigenetic origins of mental retardation. Clin Genet. 2008;73(6):528-530.
4. van Karnebeek CD, Jansweijer MC, Leenders AG, et al. Diagnostic investigations in individuals with mental retardation: a systematic literature review of their usefulness. Eur J Hum Genet. 2005;13(1):6-25.
5. Shevell M, Ashwal S, Donley D, et al. Practice parameter: evaluation of the child with global developmental delay: report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the Practice Committee of the Child Neurology Society. Neurology. 2003;60(3):367-380.
6. Shogren KA, Bradley VJ, Gomez SC, et al. Public policy and the enhancement of desired outcomes for persons with intellectual disability. Intellect Dev Disabil. 2009;47(4):307-319.
7. Rizzolo MC, Hemp R, Braddock D, et al. Family support services for persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities: recent national trends. Intellect Dev Disabil. 2009;47(2):152-155.
8. Samuel PS, Hobden KL, LeRoy BW, et al. Analysing family service needs of typically underserved families in the USA. J Intellect Disabil Res. 2012;56(1):111-128.
9. Heller T, Hsieh K, Rimmer JH. Attitudinal and psychosocial outcomes of a fitness and health education program on adults with down syndrome. Am J Ment Retard. 2004;109(2):175-185.
10. Sullivan WF, Heng J, Cameron D, et al. Consensus guidelines for primary health care of adults with developmental disabilities. Can Fam Physician. 2006;52(11):1410-1418.
11. Prater CD, Zylstra RG. Medical care of adults with mental retardation. Am Fam Physician. 2006;73(12):2175-2183.