1. Ford ES, Li C, Zhao G. Prevalence and correlates of metabolic syndrome based on a harmonious definition among adults in the US. J Diabetes. 2010;2(3):180-193.
2. Zimmet P, Alberti KG, Kaufman F, et al. The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents—an IDF consensus report. Pediatr Diabetes. 2007;8(5):299-306.
3. Magnussen CG, Koskinen J, Chen W, et al. Pediatric metabolic syndrome predicts adulthood metabolic syndrome, subclinical atherosclerosis, type 2 diabetes mellitus but is no better than body mass index alone: the Bogalusa Heart Study and the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Circulation. 2010;122(16):1604-1611.
4. Alberti KG, Eckel RH, Grudy SM, et al. Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the International Diabetes Federation Task Force on Epidemiology and Prevention; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; American Heart Association; World Health Federation; International Association for the Study of Obesity. Circulation. 2009;120(16):1640-1645.
5. Wofford MR, King DS, Harrell TK. Druginduced metabolic syndrome. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2006;8(2):114-119.
6. Dunkley AJ, Charles K, Gray LJ, et al. Effectiveness of interventions for reducing diabetes and cardiovascular disease risk in people with metabolic syndrome: systematic review and mixed treatment comparison meta-analysis. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2012;14(7):616-625.
7. Shin JH, Gadde KM. Clinical utility of phentermine/topiramate (QsymiaTM) combination for the treatment of obesity. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2013;6:131-139.
8. Chan EW, He Y, Chui CS, et al. Efficacy and safety of lorcaserin in obese adults: a meta-analysis of 1-year randomized controlled trials (RCTs) and narrative review of short-term RCTs. Obes Rev. 2013;14(5):383-392.
9. Pattyn N, Cornelissen VA, Eshghi SR, et al. The effect of exercise on the cardiovascular risk factors constituting the metabolic syndrome: a meta-analysis of controlled trials. Sports Med. 2013;43(2):121-133.
10. Lakka TA, Laaksonen DE. Physical activity in prevention and treatment of the metabolic syndrome. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2007;32(1):76-88.
11. Carter P, Gray LJ, Troughton J, et al. Fruit and vegetable intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2010;341:c4229.