1. Ranieri VM, Rubenfeld GD, Thompson BT, et al. Acute respiratory distress syndrome: the Berlin definition. JAMA. 2012;307(23):2526-2533.
2. Riviello ED, Kiviri W, Twagirumugabe T, et al. Hospital incidence and outcomes of ARDS using the Kigali modification of the Berlin definition [published online ahead of print September 9, 2015]. Am J Respir Crit Care Med.
3. Petrucci N, Iacovelli W. Ventilation with lower tidal volumes versus traditional tidal volumes in adults for acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(2):CD003844.
4. Gu XL, Wu GN, Yao YW, et al. Is high-frequency oscillatory ventilation more effective and safer than conventional protective ventilation in adult acute respiratory distress syndrome patients? A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Crit Care. 2014;18(3):R111.
5. Meduri GU, Bridges L, Shih MC, et al. Prolonged glucocorticoid treatment is associated with improved ARDS outcomes: analysis of individual patients’ data from four randomized trials and trial-level meta-analysis of the updated literature [published online ahead of print October 27, 2015]. Intensive Care Med.
6. Afshari A, Brok J, Møller AM, et al. Inhaled nitric oxide for acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and acute lung injury in children and adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;(7):CD002787.
7. Afshari A, Brok J, Møller AM, et al. Aerosolized prostacyclin for acute lung injury (ALI) and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;(8):CD007733.
8. Duggal A, Ganapathy A, Ratnapalan M, et al. Pharmacological treatments for acute respiratory distress syndrome: systematic review. Minerva Anestesiol. 2015;81(5):567-588.
9. Lyu G, Wang X, Jiang W, et al. Clinical study of early use of neuromuscular blocking agents in patients with severe sepsis and acute respiratory distress syndrome [in Chinese]. Zhonghua Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue. 2014;26(5):325-329.
10. Zambon M, Vincent JL. Mortality rates for patients with acute lung injury/ARDS have decreased over time. Chest. 2008;133(5):1120-1127.
11. Rivara MB, Bajwa EK, Januzzi JL, et al. Prognostic significance of elevated cardiac troponin-T levels in acute respiratory distress syndrome patients. PLoS One. 2012;7(7):e40515.